IN THIS ARTICLE
Terms, classes, and students are connected to an Academic Year. Class lists, student lists, assignment data, and grades are displayed in Gradient based on how they are connected to current terms, classes, and students.
To prevent old synced rosters from importing into a current year, roster imports are suspended when the academic year ends. A Gradient System Admin needs to Start New Year to reset roster syncing or prepare for a file import in a new academic year.
Start New Year
We recommend starting the new year when:
- The roster sync method (Clever or ClassLink) for the previous academic year has been paused on your end and you are ready to restart your roster sync for the new academic year.
- You are ready to import rosters from a file for the new academic year.
From Admin Mode, go to the Account Menu and choose Settings.
NOTE: You must have the Academic Year permission in order to view this option.
- Select Start New Year to enter a name for your new academic year.
- You will be asked for the end date. Keep in mind that staff will be able to access terms, classes, and students for assignment delivery and grading based on the dates you set. Term dates must fall within the Academic Year you are setting.
We recommend naming the academic year uniquely and also using the academic year abbreviation in your term names to ease the use of filtering data throughout Gradient.
Adjust the Current Academic Year
Once the Academic Year has started, you can Adjust the End Date to account for giving staff extended time to scan assignments, grade, or use Gradient for a summer school term. Term dates must fall within the Academic Year dates.
From Admin Mode, go to the Account Menu and choose Settings. Select Academic Year.
- Read the message to understand the impact to roster syncing.
- Select Adjust End Date.
- Update the end date for the current academic year showing. Select Save.
To exit the academic year edit window, click on the X in the upper right corner or choose another option in the Settings list.
NOTE: The feature mentioned in this article, requires membership to the System Admin (association to all schools) or School Support (association to the applicable school) access group. For more information about how to be designated as a Gradient Leader for this purpose, please read our Welcome Gradient Leaders article.