IN THIS ARTICLE
Access Groups are a bundle of permissions that can be provided for staff members to give access to functions beyond the teacher role. When a staff member is added to the School/District Gradient account, they will already have the ability to create, deliver, and analyze assignments for their classes as well as share PLC data within their school. However, some staff may need expanded access to Gradient and may be given additional permissions.
Access Group Navigation
To manage access groups and permissions for staff, visit your account menu and choose Admin Mode. If you are a Gradient System Administrator you will see Access Groups in your toolbar or More menu. The three default Access Groups display on the page with a count of members already included in each group.
- Gradient users who started subscriptions prior to July 2022, will also see a list of custom access groups that represent the roles previously used for designating system permissions.
Manage Access Group Members
To add a staff member to an Access Group, you will first need to ensure that they have been added to the Gradient account.
- Select the Staff tab and filter to view All Active Staff and search for the specific staff member.
- Once you have located the staff member, check the box next to their name and then choose Edit.
- Select Manage Associated Schools and select which schools the staff member will have access to. Click Save.
After checking that the staff member is active, select the Access Groups tab.
- From Access Groups, you'll see the 3 default access groups and any custom access groups that have been created. Select the group where you would like to add the staff member.
- Select the Members sub-tab. To add a new member, select the blue Add Members button on the right.
- Begin typing the member name or email and select the correct member. Continuing searching and adding additional members as needed. Choose Close and click Save.
Watch this video for a visual walkthrough of the steps listed above.
Change Staff Membership within a Group
From the Access Groups page, select the Staff sub-tab. Here you will see a table showing a list of names, email addresses, associated schools, access groups, and last login date. The table can be searched and sorted (using the column headers with arrows) to find a staff member and edit their Access Group membership.
Edit an Access Group
You can edit the name of a custom access group, change the bundle of permissions applied to the access group, or create your own access group. The default access groups cannot be edited.
To make a custom access group, either clone an existing access group or use the + New Access Group button to start from scratch.
- Select the Access Group you want to edit. Select the pencil icon to edit the name or description of the access group.
2. To change the permissions for an access group, expand the permission categories.
3. Check or uncheck the permissions you want to enable for the access group.
Delete an Access Group
To delete an Access Group, use the Trash icon in the Access Group list. Deleting an access group will remove the permissions granted to the staff members associated to the group.
FAQs for Access Groups
Q: What permissions belong under each default access group?
A: To view permissions for an access group, select the access group and expand the permission categories.
Q: I can't add a staff member to an access group, what am I missing?
Q: Why can't the staff member assigned to the access group see what I see?
A: Verify the school or district association for the staff member. Some permissions require a district association in order for the checked permission for the access group to apply.