IN THIS ARTICLE
Gradient can be added to and used as an external tool within Canvas. In order for the integration to work for staff, a Canvas Lead from the school or district must work with a Gradient System Admin to get the necessary information (secret, key, etc.) input into Canvas.
- For more information on setting up an LTI integration within Canvas see How do I configure an LTI key for an account?
Enable Gradient > Canvas Integration
NOTE: For users with Canvas enabled prior to March 2023, you'll continue to see the LTI Integration1.1 enabled. When the new Academic Year is started, LTI 1.1 will be deactivated and LTI 1.3 will be available to set up.
- Log in to Gradient. Select the Account Menu (top right corner).
- Choose Admin Mode.
- From Admin Mode, select the Account Menu (top right corner).
- Choose Settings
From the Integrations section, use the toggle to enable the Canvas/Schoology Integration and select Canvas.
Canvas LTI Integration Setup
To find the Client ID and Deployment ID in Canvas to complete the integration with Gradient, follow the steps below or provide your Canvas Lead the JSON URL and Redirect URIs links so that they may finish the steps below:
|STEP 1: Log in to Canvas and click the Admin section from the sidebar. Select your account name.||
STEP 2: From your Account Navigation, click the Developer Keys link.
STEP 3: Click the Add Developer Key button. Then click the Add LTI Key option.
STEP 4: Choose the Add LTI Key option.
|STEP 5: Enter the LTI Settings:
STEP 6: Save LTI Key
STEP 7: View LTI Key and navigate to Gradient > Admin Mode > Settings > Integrations > Canvas 1.3
Ensure you've toggled this key's state to ON.
|STEP 8: In Canvas, add the app by navigating to Admin > Settings > Apps. Click View App Configurations. Click +App and select By Client ID from the Configuration Type drop-down. Paste the Client ID from Step 6 in the Client ID field.||
STEP 9: In Canvas, navigate to Admin > Settings > Apps. Click View App Configurations. Click the gear icon > Deployment ID.
Copy this value and paste it into the Deployment ID field in Gradient Admin > Settings > Integrations.
Once you've entered this into Gradient, you can close the modal and you're done!
Best Practices for Setup
Staff Login (Canvas > Gradient Integration REQUIREMENT):
In order for staff to benefit from using the Canvas > Gradient integration, their login credentials from both platforms must match. This is easily managed when both Gradient and Canvas are being fed from the same synced rostering source (Clever / ClassLink). Please verify:
- The Email address in the LTI integration MUST MATCH the email associated with staff in Gradient.
- If the teacher has not yet logged in to their Gradient for Schools subscription, they will be prompted to “accept invite workflow”. Once accepted, they will be able to access Gradient from within Canvas.
- If the emails do not match - the staff member will receive an error message - “lti_errormsg”
Student Login (Canvas > Gradient Integration REQUIREMENT):
In order for students to benefit from using the Canvas > Gradient integration, their login credentials from both platforms must match. This is easily managed when both Gradient and Canvas are being fed from the same synced rostering source (Clever / ClassLink). Please verify that the following match:
- Student ID
- Student first name, last name, class
- If none of the information above matches, the student will reach the student portal login screen in Canvas and be prompted to enter their name and student access code (as if they were logging in directly via Gradient Student Portal). Completing this action will link the accounts going forward.
Teacher Integration with Canvas
Prior to using the Canvas integration for a high-stakes exam, mid-term, common assessment, or final we highly recommend training students how to log in and access a Gradient assignment that's just for fun. Review or pass along the resources below:
NOTE: Staff should be monitoring student online access and verify that students log in to access their assignment via Canvas instead of directly from Gradient's Student Portal (https://app.gradecam.com/studentLogin).
- If students log in via Gradient's Student Portal to access their assignment, the Canvas > Gradient integration for the assignment will not pass the score into Canvas and teachers will have to use the Grade Transfer feature or manually edit their Canvas gradebook to add the assignment score.
COMING SOON! With the LTI 1.3 upgrade for the new academic year, staff will be able to link paper-scanned assignment scores to Canvas. Check out the Product Release Notes for more information.