IN THIS ARTICLE
The LockDown browser option for Gradient by GradeCam is created by and licensed for FREE use from Respondus. The Respondus LockDown Browser is a restriction setting available within the Student Portal. When staff set up their online access for an assignment, they have the option to require a lockdown browser. Using this restriction setting prevents students from accessing other applications, copying and pasting to and from the Student Portal, and navigating to another URL. When a student begins an assignment in the LockDown browser, they are locked into the assignment until the assignment has been turned in or the assignment window has ended. LockDown Browser is particularly suited for proctored tests in a lab or classroom.
Download and Installation
Currently supported devices are Mac, PC, and Chromebook computers. The downloads and installation are meant to be accessed by the district or site technology coordinators. All devices students will use must have the LockDown browser installed.
- Computers running Windows XP or later
- Mac OS X 10.4 or later
- Chrome OS
NOTE: iPads or other mobile devices are not supported for installation or use of the LockDown browser.
Download Installation File
The links included in this section are specific to using the Respondus LockDown browser built for Gradient by GradeCam. These links are the only supported versions for use with Gradient. If the school or district is using Respondus with another application, they will not work with the restriction settings created for Gradient's Student Portal.
Select the appropriate installation for the device students will use, run the LockDown Browser installation file, and follow the instructions:
Windows - Student Edition (requires admin rights): Download
Chrome: Installation Instructions.
- OS X - Student and Lab use: Download
- Double-click the downloaded zip archive to extract the LockDown Browser installation file
Mac Installation Update
A recent update was made to the Respondus LockDown Browser for Macs. The download link is the same, but you will need to delete/remove/trash the other file before downloading and re-installing.
Recommendation: Drag the OEM Lockdown Browser to the trash bin and ensure that the test link fails (no browser found) before installing LockDown Browser for Mac 2.1.1.04 again from scratch.
Test the LockDown Browser
To ensure the LockDown browser is installed correctly, click or copy and paste the URL into any browser address bar.
- If installed correctly, the URL should open the LockDown browser and display the Respondus website.
- You may be prompted to authorize launching the application or terminate any blacklisted applications.
- If you experience any difficulties, visit the Respondus website for troubleshooting steps here.
- To view what staff will do to set up their online access window for an assignment in the Gradient Student Portal, review the LockDown Browser Restriction article.