IN THIS ARTICLE
Observational Assignment Overview
What is an Observational form?
An Observational assignment generates a single form for a specific class to collect handwritten scores with up to 6 defined criteria. The form is printed with a row for each student in the class with columns to write a score for each criterion. This assignment type can be used to evaluate performance, a project, and the progress of students.
Pro Tip: Observational Assignments cannot be assigned to the Online Student Portal.
|This video demonstrates how to create an Observational assignment to assess students on a "STEM Science Fair" project.|
Observational Assignment Ideas
This example shows how a music teacher easily scores four criteria for each student on a four-point rubric, then scans one time to record the grades for an entire class.
Other suggestions for use of Observational Assignments:
- Student presentations
- Theater arts performances
- Fair and exhibit projects (ie. Science Fair)
- Observational reading skills
- Speeches and debates
- Art projects
- Capstone projects
Create an Observational Assignment
1. Select the Create Assignment tile.
2. Select Observational Assignment from the new assignment window.
Required fields in the New Observational Assignment pop-up:
- Assignment Name
- Items (1-6) for the number of items (criteria)
3. Select the checkbox to the left of the item and select the Edit button, or click the Item name, to open the editor.
Complete each field.
- Edit the label of the item (up to 50 characters).
- Toggle on/off Extra Credit.
- Set the Max number of points for the item (up to 999).
- Align the item to Standards if desired.
4. Select the Next button to edit the remaining items.
5. When complete, select SAVE AND CLOSE.
Print an Observational Assignment
1. Select the Forms button.
2. Select the Class for which you want to print forms.
Optional: Select specific students from within a class using the Print forms for... field.
3. Select GENERATE.
4. Download the form as a PDF file or PNG image to print. PDF is the recommended file type for download and print.
Record Scores for an Observational Assignment
Scores are handwritten into criteria columns for each individual student. For best scanning results, write a score for each criteria for every student.
1. Click on the assignment name for which you would like to scan the Observational assignment form.
Note: Opening an existing assignment takes you directly to the Responses tab.
2. Scan the Observational Assignment form.
When scanning, to ensure the full form is captured, the top and bottom form identifiers must be in view of your GradeCam camera preview window.
3. View individual student results instantly.
In the Response Window, scores for each student will be displayed and each student's scores may be reviewed by selecting the student’s name.
Note: Each criteria defined is a single question.