IN THIS ARTICLE
Teachers have the option to set a time limit for an online assignment through Student Portal. The timer will begin as soon as a student starts the assignment. Once the timer completes, if the assignment has not yet been turned in, it will automatically submit the assignment for the student.
Add a Timer
Adding a timer to an assignment in the Student Portal will apply a time limit from the moment the student starts the assignment. The timer is continuous and can not be paused.
1. From the Gradient home page, select the Assignments icon from the left sidebar menu or choose the View Assignments tile.
2. Click on the title of a specific assignment and click the Student Portal icon from the toolbar.
2. After adding classes or students, in the Turn In section, select Show Settings.
3. By default, the Restrictions are visible. Select the option to add a time limit. Enter the total minutes allotted for the student to complete the assignment.
View Assignment Activity with Timer
If a timer has been added to the assignment, there are some additional options when viewing assignments that are In Progress. Once a student has started the assignment, but not yet turned in, the teacher will be able to view In Progress activity.
1. Select the assignment and view the Responses tab. Adjust to view assignments In Progress using either the (1)icon on the toolbar or the (2)filter options under the scan window.
2. Select the Show Details toggle to view more information on each student's progress. Since a timer is used, Due In will reflect the amount of time left on the timer.
For more information, see the article on viewing details for assignments In Progress.
Reset a Timer
If a student needs additional time, teachers may reset the timer. Students will be given the time limit that was entered in the Online Access Settings.
1. Check the box to the left of the student(s) and select Reset Timer from the toolbar.
NOTE: If the timer runs out and the assignment has been auto-turned in, the assignment will need to be Reopened. Once the assignment is reopened, the time limit from the settings will be applied.
Student View Using a Timer
Once a timer has been added to an assignment in the Student Portal, students will see notifications for the timer on the student dashboard and the assignment details screen. The timer does not start until the student selects Start Assignment.
After starting an assignment, a countdown timer will display on the screen. Students may collapse the section if desired.
If a student exits the assignment, without selecting Turn In, the timer will continue. The assignment will automatically submit at the end of the time limit. The timer is continuous and cannot be paused. Teachers may either Reset the timer or Reopen the assignment.