IN THIS ARTICLE
The new Math Equation Response question type is in BETA and available for testing on staging.gradecam.com. Let us know about your experience and share your feedback by clicking the Thoughts on MER? button when reviewing or editing student responses from the Responses tab within an assignment.
The new Math Equation Response (BETA) questions allow students to handwrite their answers on a paper form or type them online. Responses are auto-graded based on the answer choices provided on the key.
Create Math Equation Response Questions
Start with a Multiple-Question Assignment and then edit questions to use the Math Equation Response (MER) question type on your answer key.
1. From the Keys tab, select the question to open the question editor window (or check the box next to the question to Edit via the toolbar).
2. Adjust the question type to Math Equation Response (MER).
3. Use the Question header for any specific instructions on the form or online question area if needed. NOTE: There is a 500 character limit on question headers.
4. Type the answer in the answer box or toggle the virtual keyboard to use Basic or Advanced math equation symbols and characters.
If more than one version of the answer is acceptable, select Add Another Answer and use Partial Credit to adjust point values.
5. After completing any additional customizations Save and Close.
Use Next and Previous to navigate to other questions to edit as needed.
Additional Question Options
Review Student Responses
Math Equation Response questions are auto-graded, but can be reviewed. Review both scanned form responses and online responses in the Responses tab.
1. Review collected responses By Question to quickly go over auto-graded responses.
2. Provide specific Feedback on a student's response to provide additional clarification.
Teachers may also add student responses manually if needed. The following image shows how the field to manually add student responses for MER question types will appear depending on how the student submitted their response(s).